Sunday, June 14, 2009

How the Experts Care for Their Skin

By RealSimple.com

Top dermatologists and skin pros offer the tips, tricks, and products they love to get a healthy, glowing complexion.

Dermatologist Leslie Baumann, Miami Beach, Florida
Rely on retinoids: "Prescription retinoids or store-bought retinol creams are great anti-agers," she says. "Use a small amount [a pea-size dab every other night]. Then treat any dryness with a calming cream so you stick with it." She uses soothing (1) Atopalm MLE Intensive Moisturizing Cream.

Dermatologist Jeanine Downie, Montclair, New Jersey
Make sunscreen a done deal: "From January to December, rain or shine, and regardless of ethnicity, use sunblock every day," Downie says. Her pick: (2) Colorescience Suncanny foundation brush SPF 20, a portable protective powder that makes reapplication easy.

Dermatologist Doris Day, New York City
Use a two-pronged approach: "Make time to relax. Lowering stress helps your skin. Then get a good skin-care routine and practice it daily," says Day. She likes the Olay Professional Pro-X line, including the (3) Wrinkle Smoothing Cream, which uses peptides, and the Deep Wrinkle Treatment, which has retinol.

Makeup artist Carmindy, New York City
Treat eyes gently: "My grandmother taught me to use my ring finger to apply cosmetics around the eyes. It's a weak digit, so it won't pull or tug excessively," she says. Carmindy employs this technique with her favorite eye cream, (4) Garnier Nutritioniste Ultra-Lift Anti-Wrinkle Firming Eye Cream. Carmindy also says, "Every other day in the shower, I lather up with a liquid cleanser, then take a handful of white sugar and scrub in circular motions on my face and body. It makes my skin super-smooth."

Manicurist Jin Soon Choi, New York City
Keep skin supple: "Growing up in Korea, I learned to soak my hands and feet in warm water for 10 minutes and then use a dry cloth to scrub them. Afterward I apply (5)Tiger Balm and wear cotton gloves and socks to sleep. In the morning, I wake up with super-soft skin," says Choi.

Dermatologist Tina Alster, Washington, D.C.
"As a teenager, my grandmother taught me to make my skin-care routine work for me. I have more time in the morning, so I've learned to frontload my regimen and apply all my active ingredients after my shower and before makeup application. At night I use makeup remover and moisturizer. This system works for me and I don't spend too much time on my skin!" Product favorite: LancĂ´me Nutrix Soothing Treatment Cream.

Dermatologist Lisa Airan, New York City
"I love to use things that promote collagen and elastin production and that reverse sun damage. Right now I like the GentleWaves LED procedure, which is a device with a series of lights. You sit in front of it and it makes your skin look better, fresher, and a little more even-toned. It gives you that elusive glow that everyone talks about." Product favorite: SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex.

Manicurist Cheryl Scruggs, Beverly Hills
"I was always told to treat my feet like my face. That means cleansing at least once a day, using a brush for toenails, exfoliating once a week, and moisturizing every night before bed. I've done this my whole life and it keeps your feet looking pretty." Product favorite: CND Cucumber Heel Therapy, $ 20, cnd.com for stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment