Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Noel Cabangon: Tuloy ang Byahe

Noel Cabangon. 



He's a singer-songwriter who I know is a great one, but also one I'm not familiar with because I didn't dig his kind of music which is folk. But, that's all in the past. Thanks to his new album, Tuloy Ang Byahe, where he gave 16 classic OPM songs a new life with modern yet acoustic touch.

My favorite track from the album is "Manila", a collaboration with rapper Gloc9. I find it similar to the City of Manila itself - the city is 400+ old yet it embraces modernity, the song maybe about 40 years old by now, but they gave it a modern touch, the kids won't find it baduy nor jologs.

I was surprised Mr. Cabangon did "Kailan", originally sung by Smokey Mountain some 20 years ago. It was surprising because, like what I told him, the song was too tweetums for a guy to sing, much more for someone like him who already has an established name in the industry.

During the interview, Mr. Cabangon enumerated his musical influences, and among them the Filipino legends like Florante, among others. He also mentioned foreign artists like U2, The Police, Stevie Wonder. I got the chance to ask Mr. Cabangon why he hasn't released an English song despite him mentioning more foreign artists than local ones. He said he just hasn't done so just yet, so maybe next time, next album maybe. And then we go back to the song "Manila" which has a combination of Filipino and English lyrics, so I guess, there goes his first English song.

Today was probably the second or third time I met him, but this is the first time I was able to talk to him in an interview turned forum. Nice guy. He's so simple despite his status. I wish other singers are like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment